4H is known throughout the country as an organization that helps people.
The H’s stand for Head, Heart, Hands and Health. The 4-H emblem symbolizes the aim and desired results of effective learning for each individual.
What’s not to like about that? The 4H motto is “To make the best better.”
Here’s the basic explanation of each H.
- Head – Problem solving: ability to sort out complex problems.
- Heart – Emotional development: developing good attitudes toward work and learning; developing acceptance and appreciation of other people.
- Hands – Skills development: ability to do, skill in doing and habit of doing.
- Health – Physical development: understanding and appreciating a growing and changing body
I like that. Simple and elegant.
Over the years my wife and I have developed a 4 H perspective, too. We have been Jehovah’s Witnesses for decades. We believe in what the Bible teaches and work diligently to apply those teachings in our lives.
Think of it as a personal 4 H system for Christians.
- Humility – this is one of Jehovah’s first requirements for humans. You cannot exercise Jesus’ two commandments— love God and love others— without humility.
- Honesty – we humans can deceive ourselves so honesty is important; with ourselves, with others, and with God. Honesty in all things; whether words or actions.
- Hunger – it is important to develop a hunger for truth, a hunger for the messages given to us in the Bible, and a hunger to apply what we learn in our lives.
- Help – one cannot show love to humankind without exercising a desire to help others; our door-to-door and public ministries are designed to do just that; take Jesus’ example and Jehovah’s message to others, to show them what the Bible really teaches, and how it can help their lives.
A 4 H system that anyone can belong to.